Do you grind your teeth at night and wake up with an Aching jaw and teeth, & a radiating headache? ….
On either side of our faces is a large muscle used in chewing called the masseter muscle. It is vital in the chewing mechanism, but in some people this muscle is too strong, or used too much as part of a reaction to life stressors. How this manifests is grinding of the teeth, or jaw clenching at night. What you feel in the morning is an aching jaw and teeth, and very often a headache that radiates from the jaw area.
There are many treatment that are vital to preserve the integrity of the teeth which may become damaged over time, as well as the jaw which may show signs of wear and tear from constant pressure. The symptoms felt are also unpleasant and manifest as chronic pain.
Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections would not be considered first line treatment for this condition. Other modalities are important to look at, including management of the stressors with exercise, meditation, massage, psychotherapy, and protection of the teeth dentally with mouth guards. For this you would need to consult with your dentist.
To augment these treatments it is possible to inject small amounts of Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections into the masseter muscle on either side to decrease the bite force strength. The muscle still works well, but is slightly weaker, decreasing the ability to grind and clench at night, but preserving functional capacity. The treatment generally works very well and may cause relief of all symptoms within a few days.
It is important to know that this indication for Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections are considered “off label” use, but with this kept in mind, the Doctor can assess if it will be safe and effective in you.
Click on the FAQ below to find out more information
After an initial discussion and assessment, the doctor will map out the areas needed on your face that would benefit from injections with Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections. Local anaesthetic cream is left on for about 10 minutes after which a series of tiny painless injections precisely place the Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections in the correct position. The injections take about 5 minutes.
It is administered by Dr Mel only as a simple, nonsurgical treatment that is injected directly into the muscles in areas where it is needed. Expert training is required to perform the procedures to ensure a good result.
The procedure is very non-invasive and does not require anything but an anaesthetic cream usually as painful as feeling a mosquito bite!
The entire consultation takes about 30 minutes. It is considered to be an outpatient procedure and people may return to their normal activities immediately.
It takes approximately 4 days for Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections to start to relax the muscles. The results last approximately 4 months, but may be shorter depending on the strength of the masseter muscles. To keep the effects, you will need to repeat treatments every 3 to 4 months. Over time, the effects will last longer and you may need only repeat the treatment every 6 months.
Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections turned 21 years old in 2010! It has been used for many years in other areas such as treating people with cerebral palsy and squint (strabismus), and in very small children. It was first registered by the FDA in the United States in 1989 and in South Africa in 1993. Its safety profile is tested and proven, and as long as a properly qualified medical doctor is injecting it, the results are predictable. It is important to know that this indication for Botox is considered “off label” use, but with this kept in mind, the Doctor can assess if it will be safe and effective in you.
The most common side effect after treatment is a small bruise which will fade rapidly after 2-4 days (even though this is also quite rare). Before your treatment the Doctor will also discuss any rare side effects which are possible, and answer any of your questions.
Botulinum toxin wrinkle reducing injections are best known for its use in anti-aging and rejuvenation medicine. Botulinum toxin wrinkle reducing injections can also be used for: To treat increased muscle stiffness in elbow, wrist, and finger muscles in adults with upper limb spasticity.
- To treat the abnormal head position and neck pain that happens with cervical dystonia (CD) in adults.
- To treat certain types of eye muscle problems (strabismus) or abnormal spasm of the eyelids (blepharospasm).
- Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections are also injected into the skin to treat the symptoms of severe underarm sweating (hyperhidrosis) when other treatments do not help.
Facts about Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections…
- Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections are used for both cosmetic and medical interventions, is a purified and diluted form of the clostridium botulinum bacteria toxin (a protein).
- It is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate-to-severe wrinkles caused by underlying muscle movements.
- Its beauty lies in its ability to relax the muscle that has been injected, resulting in a serene and unworried appearance.
- If the word Botulinum Toxin Wrinkle Reducing Injections makes you feel slightly nervous, that’s because it reminds you of botulism, derived from the same bacteria, which you probably associate with food poisoning and paralysis. Happily, scientists have found a way of using the protein to human advantage for safe, controlled weakening of the muscles.